30% ruling: more benefit for Expats

Expats, who have been recruited from abroad by their Dutch employer, can in most cases apply for the 30% ruling. If granted by the tax authorities, this provides a tax advantage in the payroll tax for a maximum of 5 years. But did you know that the 30% ruling for Expats from outside the EU still has also another advantage?

Convert driving license with the 30% decision

While writing this blog, it is lovely summer weather, which makes it wonderful to go out by bike. But if the weather changes, it is still nice if you can continue to drive a car in the Netherlands with your foreign driver’s license.

What is less known is that with the 30% granting, the Expat can convert his or her foreign driving license (issued outside the EU). But how do you do that?

Apply for a Dutch driver’s license at the municipality

If you stay in the Netherlands for more than 185 days as an Expat, you are no longer allowed to drive with your foreign driving license (with the exception of the EU countries). You must then have exchanged it for a Dutch driving license. Once you have received a 30% granting, you can easily convert your valid driver’s license from outside the EU/EFTA (European Free Trade Association) to a Dutch driver’s license without a driving test being required. You can request the conversion from the municipality in the Netherlands where you are registered.

Fill in the application form at the municipality and bring the following documents with you:

  • Valid identity or residence document
  • 30% decision issued by the Belastingdienst Buitenland, (Tax and Customs Administration)
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Declaration of Suitability*
  • Color passport photo (this must not be older than 6 months and must comply with the Fotomatrix model 2020.

For the Declaration of Suitability you need a Health Declaration. You can purchase a “Health statement” form via My CBR. On this site you will also find other options for getting a health statement. This is also for sale at most municipalities, for example. Costs are approximately € 40.

The municipality also charges fees for exchanging the driving license, these differ per municipality.

Brexit and your driver’s license

The United Kingdom has placed itself outside the European Union from 1 January 2021 due to Brexit. This also means that Englishmen must exchange their driving license for a Dutch driving license at the municipality as described above.

Even more advantage of the 30% ruling?

When applying the 30% facility, the employee can opt for partial non-resident tax liability for application of box 3. If you want to know whether this applies to you and is beneficial, please contact my colleagues from the TAX department.

Need help?

If you have any questions about the 30% ruling as a result of this blog, please contact us.

And… rain or shine, I keep coming to work by bike.

Shopping Cart
Click to access the login or register cheese
Scroll to Top